Start School Later Howard County!
Our Goal: Safe and healthy school start times for all Howard County Public Schools.
On November 17th, 2016, the Board of Education was presented with four options from the School Start and Dismissal Time Committee (SSDT). Community forums to discuss the four plans will be held:
•December 7th 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Howard High School
•December 14th 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Reservoir High School
Online feedback will also be accepted.
The following meetings are scheduled before the Board of Education takes action on the start and dismissal times for the 2017-2018 school year.
•January 12th – 6:00 PM BOE Report
•February 7 th – 7:00 PM Public Hearing
•February 23rd – 3:00 PM BOE Action
In September 2013, the Howard County Public School System (HCPSS) Superintendent charged staff to convene an exploratory work group to examine school start and dismissal times. The initial work group became the School Start and Dismissal Time (SSDT) Committee, of which SSL Howard County is a member. Visit Howard County's School Start and Dismissal Time Committee website.
The committee’s work has evolved to include five phases:
• Review existing research and conduct an exploratory study of shifts to school start and dismissal times and potential impacts.
• Establish a Committee. • Seek stakeholder feedback.
Phase III (Current Effort)
• Develop scalable implementation models. • Prepare a detailed impact analysis for each model. • Report to the BOE and HCPSS community on Phase III.
• Solicit additional stakeholder feedback through community forums. • Report findings from community forums to the BOE for Board action.
• Develop a detailed implementation plan should the BOE approve a change in start and dismissal times.
Sign our petition
You can also join our email list serve by sending an email to StartSchoolLaterfirstname.lastname@example.org