Welcome to Start School Later Sudbury, MA!
If you live in Lincoln or Sudbury, please join us in advocating for later school start times for Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School and our middle schools. Erik Deede is the chapter leader for our 12th Massachusetts town chapter of Start School Later.
To connect with Erik and our Sudbury, MA chapter, like our Facebook page or fill out the contact form on this page.
Check out our statewide Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Visit our Massachusetts Statewide chapter
As a father of 3 boys and a physician, I have reviewed the scientific evidence regarding our school start times, and it is absolutely clear that our adolescents are starting school too early. This leads to chronic sleep deprivation, and has a significant impact on their mental and physical well-being in the following ways:
1. Reduced intellectual and academic performance
2. Increased rates of depression, anxiety, and substance abuse
3. Drowsy driving leading to more motor vehicle collisions
4. Increased sports injuries and reduced athletic performance
5. Increased risk taking behaviors
There are many arguments against moving our school start times later, mostly revolving around how inconvenient it will be for everyone else.
But ask yourself and others this simple question:
What is the best school start time for the health and well-being of our adolescents?
The answer is clear, and all the arguments against moving our start time later are simply not in the best interest of our children.
- Erik Deede, chapter leader of Start School Later Sudbury, MA